Friday, February 13, 2009

Big A Is Not the First

This has been one stressful week! As a stay-at-home mom, I don't have many weeks that make my head spin, but this was one of the worst. The kids' Valentine's parties were Thursday and as Bubby's classroom party planner, I was up to my eyeballs in conversation hearts and tissue paper. Sissy had been working on her valentines and box for days and still needed extra time to finish. We had playdates and lunchdates and a day off from school today that was spent at Chuck-e-Cheese and I was at the end of my rope when my husband strolled in the door at 5:13 this afternoon.

"I need some time away before I go nuts," I said. He knew the drill. He took the kids for ice cream and I left for Giant Eagle, Target and Kohl's.

While at Kohl's, I realized I had not yet purchased a special something for Valentine's Day night. Usually I'm on top of that much earlier, but with all that went on this week, plus the fact that my brother is living with us for a while and goes shopping with me everytime I go, I haven't been able to look for anything. The selection at Kohl's was pretty tame, but that was okay with me. I needed something cheap and in my size and I wasn't feeling very picky at all.

I chose the first thing that fit me and grabbed two t-shirts that were on sale and a cute cropped blazer that was 80 percent off (that I almost purchased three weeks ago for full price!). I made my way to the counter quickly, trying my best to hide the lingerie.

I don't know why I get so embarrassed about buying undergarments. It's not like we don't all wear them. But I hate for people to see me paying for them. I'm always afraid the cashier will hold them up and then call for a price check as the 20 people behind me stare at me.

But luckily, there were no people behind me. Slowly, the cashier rang up the shirts, then the blazer, and as the nightie lay on the counter with nothing to cover it up, I sensed a person behind me in line. I glanced back and wouldn't you know it, it's a friend from our church. A GUY FRIEND.

I smiled and said hi as I nervously tried to see if my undies looked more like a skirt. Yes, maybe it did look like I was buying a skirt. A see-through, black, polka-dotted skirt with underwires.

It was no secret. I was buying lingerie and he saw it. And not even sexy lingerie. He's probably feeling sorry for Big A right now. "Hmmph. What a lame Valentine's Day gift. Thank goodness my wife is a vixen," is what he was probably thinking.

As I drove home and my embarrassment faded, I wondered if I should tell Big A tomorrow night that he's not the first man to see me with this lingerie. I decided against that... for now.

3 comments:

  1. Oh that is so funny and I am the same way. I get all red in the face buying that stuff especially where I live....in a small town where everyone knows everybody. So anyway I try to go to the bigger city now so hopefully noone knows me! Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blog! I would have reacted the exact same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus I always make sure I find a woman to check me out, I don't want another guy seeing, let alone touching them!! Too funny!! Hope you had a wonderful Valentines Day!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin