Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Night the Lights Went out in Rittman

Well, just on our tiny country road.

Today started out like any other day. A trip to Target, one of Chancho's little tantrums, cleaning the smudges from the sliding glass door. It was the usual humdrum. The big kids got home from school and our evening song and dance began. Except there's no dancing or singing, but there is occasional humming (usually to the tune of "Smoke on the Water" - don't ask me why it's one of the only songs my kids know because I've certainly tried for years to instill "Jesus Loves Me" in their little minds without success. They can, however, sing all of the freecreditreport.com jingles.).

But I'm getting off track. As I was making supper and chatting with my friend Tymara on the phone, I heard a loud BOOM. It made me jump and scream a little (and almost pee my pants, which is really no big deal because it happens more than I care to admit). Then the lights went out.

The computer clicked off, the TV shut down, and the frozen, pre-packaged meal that was cooking in the oven stopped cooking. Even the kids got quiet.

Chancho spoke first:

"Turn TV on Mommy," he said sternly. Never mind that it was dark in the house. He just wanted to finish his show.

"Our electric must have shut off guys" I said. "Don't worry, I've got flashlights."

But I couldn't find batteries, of course. So I fumbled around for some candles. After then fumbling around for a lighter, I called the electric company on our cell phone by the glow of candlelight. They said it would be about two hours before power would be back on. I could easily deal with two hours of darkness. We would be like pioneers. The kids would have a blast as they did their homework and ate dinner by candlelight. We would picnic on the living room floor with cereal and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or hotdogs on the grill. I would entertain the kids with scary stories and if the power didn't come back on, we would build a fire in our fireplace for warmth. This would be one of those nights they remember for years to come.

My excitement lasted for about 20 seconds, 30 seconds max. I have a toddler, I thought to myself. A toddler who at that very moment was trying to climb onto the counter so he could "see fire Mommy now." I could just picture our impromptu picnic going up in flames as I fumbled for the fire extinguisher. With suppertime and the blackness of night rapidly approaching, I knew I had to make a decision quickly or there could be dire consequences.

"Burger King or McDonald's?" I asked Big A.

A few minutes after we left for Burger King, the power came back on. Realistically, we could have turned around and eaten what I had already started preparing. But I was exhausted from that whole half-hour without power. It's a wonder we even survived out here in the dark. Our experience only confirmed what I've already figured out about myself: When a sticky situation arises, I have a tendency to be ineffective. I try really hard to save the day at first, but I give up pretty easily.

At least I know that when the chips are down, I usually have a supply of fast food coupons handy. Even if I don't have batteries for the flashlights.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need an emergency box. We have one with candles, matches, flashlights, extra batteries, first aid kit and even a 72 hour supply of food that doesn't need electricty to cook and a week supply of bottled drinking water. You can even get flashlights that you shake or crank so they don't need batteries, ours has an AM/FM radio as well, they are great! I guess I've lived through too many hurricanes from my time in North Carolina/Virginia. Next time, you'll be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I need! I always think that we should have something like that, but I never get around to doing it. I'll add that to my new monthly to-do list. (one of my new year's resolutions is to have a list each month of things to do... so I'm not starting a lot of projects all at once.).

    Thanks Karen!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin